Sunday, August 22, 2010

At a Time Like This...

We are sure glad we raise our own chickens and have our own eggs! The egg recall has affected many people and supermarkets. We went on a trip to our local supermarket and walked past the egg aisle and found the shelves empty. Only a few cartons stood, but as we watched a couple walk by and wonder what eggs to purchase for their family. This is just horrible.
To me if people cooked the eggs well there would no problem, so this recall is really quite silly. The only thing that bothers me is the way the poor hens are treated at the factories. Being cooped up in small cages with little light and room to move.

6 comments:

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

dunno if you read about my ghost hens..
they were factory hens who I have now put free range..the five of them are so sweet but had to be taught to eat grass, and walk in the sun!!

Teresa said...

I too had some factory hens that were petrified to be out of small cages when I got them. We had to increase their space gradually and help them learn to be chickens.

The Chicken Keepers said...

That is just so sad! It is great that you two have taken on that challenge. Many Blessings to both of you.

Nekkid Chicken said...

We love our hens and take very good care of them.

Knatolee said...

Holy cow!! That picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Here's hoping this salmonella mess leads to better treatment for hens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Technodoll said...

It's to be expected with such poor farming/ animal welfare practices... my heart just breaks for those poor battery hens :-(